Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bookcase To Showcase

I want to inspire all of you to try something that is simple but has big impact.
Paint the back of your bookcases.


Off the top of my head I can name 5 homes that have bookcases just like this one. This is an easy project that looks great! You can do it. You know you want to.

Want to try a small project first? Try going at least 3 shades darker than your wall color or your can go for the big pop like this little pretty.


Kim Myles from HGTV painted this guy and added some silver metal rings from the hardware store. If I tried this in my daughter's room I would do something with flowers maybe? Can you rubber cement flowers to the wall? Hhmmm.....



Isn't she pretty?
Lovin the color. Lately I am drawn to white & black accessories. Lovin all the white here. I really like the pictures & artwork mixed in too. I may have to give that a try.
Okay. Here is the fun part. I am going to have a Mr. Linky party on Friday for our painted projects. I am going to be painting the back of my built in bookcases in my family room. You could do something as simple as painting the back of a shelf in your bathroom even!! Just paint it. You know it looks good, you know you want to!!
The more the merrier ladies so please let your readers know about our Mr.Linky painting party on Friday and let's get rollin!


***************Tip Alert

DO mix in antique/old books and accessories with new books for added interest.

DO use pretty plates, trays and framed art work . Try placing horizontal stacks with an accessory on top of a book in between vertical stacks.

DO create a zigzag pattern of large accessories and colorful books.

DO vary the texture of your items. Baskets are a great addition.

DO think "large scale" when choosing bookshelf accessories and books.

DO use a small lamp on a shelf if you have the wiring and the space. It will add a warmth to the room.

5 comments:

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Sounds good Jennifer! You know how I love painting. Can't wait to see what color you decided on for your shelves!
~Misti

Unknown said...

Great tips. I love the look of bookshelves with some color or interest on the back. Now if only I can get up enough nerve to paint my own! :)

texasmcvays said...

We just have those cheapy Wal-Mart bookcases in our homeschool room which is visible from our kitchen. Do you think I could use wallpaper on the inside of it? I do not think paint will stick to the particle board back...
K

Southern Charm said...

To answer the question of wallpaper the answer is definitely!! I have painted particle board but it was a pain to sand. If you sand too much it's going into the particle board. You have to be really careful. But to wallpaper the back is definitely a great option. Truth be told I love both looks. Give it a try.

BTW, I homeschool one of my children too. Love it. The two girls are still in public school for now.

Jenelle said...

Yesssss. My post is already written and waiting for your linky party to begin! :)

I love linky parties, and I love bookshelves with painted backs. Hooray!